North Korea to try two U.S. tourists

American citizens could face lengthy prison sentences
June 30th, 2014
1

North Korea will try two American tourists who were detained earlier this year, a statement issued by state media outlet the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA) said on Monday.

Matthew Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle, who the KCNA said perpetrated “hostile acts” after entering the DPRK, were investigated by a “relevant organ of the DPRK”.

“Suspicions about their hostile acts have been confirmed by evidence and their testimonies,” the KCNA said, without giving details of when the two would be tried.

Based on previous cases, there is suspicion the tourists could face lengthy prison sentences.

“Judicial systems like theirs don’t have not guilty verdicts…They have correct judgments, guilty verdicts, and subsequent acts of great generosity,” said Christopher Green, international editor at the Daily NK.

“Not guilty is an admission of the state being wrong. The state is never wrong. The state (or party, or leader, whatever) represents the external canon against which right and wrong are judged,” he added

24 year old Todd, who was on a private tour with American company Uri Tours at the time of his arrest, ripped up a visa and tried to claim asylum upon his arrival in Pyongyang.

Fowle, a 56 year old, was detained for leaving a bible in a public place, sources previously told Kyodo News.

In November 2012, American North Korea tour operator Kenneth Bae was detained and sentenced to 15 years’ hard labor for “hostile acts against the state” ­ preaching Christianity. Bae was arrested while in possession of a valid travel visa for the DPRK and remains in prison.

Recommended for You

North Korea replacing 5000 won notes

North Korea replacing 5000 won notes

The North Korean government is in the process of replacing all of its 5000 won notes with new, redesigned ones, sources inside the DPRK told Daily NK on Thursday.  In a move which reportedly inte…

August 1st, 2014
0
Kenneth Bae feels "abandoned" by U.S.

Kenneth Bae feels "abandoned" by U.S.

Imprisoned American citizen Kenneth Bae has said he feels abandoned by the U.S. Government in an interview with Japanese media on Thursday. Bae, who is serving a 15 year hard labor sentence in Nort…

July 31st, 2014
6

About the Author

Chad O'Carroll

Chad O'Carroll founded NK News in 2010. He is based in Washington, D.C.

Join the discussion

  • Jack Spratt

    I doubt the US would help Todd after he tried to claim asylum in the DPRK. Maybe he doesn’t want help. Maybe he’s going to get his wish after all: a nice long “asylum” …