Kim Jong Un’s public appearances in 2017: the year of the missile, in summary
Much of the year was spent finalizing the DPRK's missile and nuclear power, while high-level purges continue
2017 saw eleven missile tests, the announcement of the “completion” of the DPRK’s strategic forces, and ended with Kim Jong Un’s public condemnation of “ideological poison” created by “anti-socialist phenomena” within the country.
The year began with Kim’s New Year speech, in which he declared that “the project of test-firing an intercontinental ballistic rocket enters into the final stage.”
From February to November, Kim Jong Un’s focus was on this “final stage”: the perfection of the country’s missile and nuclear program, leading to a major standoff with the United States and
- 01North Korea may have continued Namibian Air Force job in violation of sanctions
- 02End of North Korean unification magazine another sign of friction on peninsula
- 03Layered cyber deterrence: A new US cyber strategy against North Korea
- 04FULL TEXT: North Korea’s Workers’ Party rule book
- 05Three years on, little for US and North Korea to build on from Singapore deal
- 06Everything you need to know about North Korea’s new Party rules
- 07Why new housing in Pyongyang is a survival strategy for Kim Jong Un
- 08How a North Korean ship changed hands multiple times in just over a decade
- 09Why do so many people believe Kim Jong Un holds absolute power?
- 10What Kim Jong Un wants from his local political leaders