About the Authors
Dagyum Ji was a senior NK News correspondent based in Seoul. She previously worked for Reuters TV.
The North Korean government on Monday condemned Saturday’s new sanctions by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and promised retaliation, in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
Accusing the U.S. of violating “our sovereignty and right to survive and develop,” the DPRK government promised a “decisive act of justice” against Washington and nations which supported the new measures.
“We will calculate the price of the U.S heinous crime – which they are committing against our nation and the people – a hundred thousand times,” the Korean language statement reads.
“Countries that have received ‘gratitude’ from the U.S. in exchange for conspiring in manipulating the vicious anti-DPRK ‘sanction resolution’ will never get rid of responsibility that further aggravates the situation on the Korean Peninsula and endangers peace and security in the region,” it added.
The UNSC approved sweeping new sanctions against North Korea on Saturday in New York. The measures are projected to cut the country’s export revenues by USD$1 billion, and include new rules targeting North Korea’s trade in coal, iron, lead, and seafood.
The new measures also limit the number of overseas laborers the DPRK can have overseas, another key source of foreign currency for Pyongyang.
It is estimated that more than 50,000 North Korean workers are employed throughout Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and Africa, but the vast majority are currently employed in China and Russia, according to a report by Marzuki Darusman, former UN Special Rapporteur on North Korean human rights.
U.S. ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley on Saturday said the newest UN measures were the “single largest economics sanctions package” passed by the UNSC, and the toughest sanctions in “a generation.”
Haley said in May that the U.S. was preparing another resolution against the DPRK, and the first launch by North Korea of the Hwasong-14 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) saw Washington call for much tougher measures against Pyongyang.
North Korea conducted its second test of the Hwasong-14 last Friday, and Kim Jong Un has said his country will continue to send what it calls “gift packages” to the U.S. if Washington does not give up its policy of aggression towards the DPRK.
Today’s statement reiterated that message, saying that North Korea would not relinquish its nuclear arms until the U.S. gave up what North Korea calls Washington’s “hostile policy” against the DPRK. Pyongyang also further reiterated its threat to use ICBMs against the mainland U.S.
“If the United States, which has been going on the rampage to eliminate our thoughts and institutions for ages by fair means or foul, thinks it will be safe as it located crossing the oceans, there is no greater miscalculation than that,” it said.
Featured image: KCNA
The North Korean government on Monday condemned Saturday's new sanctions by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and promised retaliation, in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
Accusing the U.S. of violating "our sovereignty and right to survive and develop," the DPRK government promised a "decisive act of justice" against Washington and nations which supported the new measures.