A group of foreign journalists currently in North Korea was told to prepare for a big event to take place early on Thursday morning, local time.
While the group was originally told to be ready by 6.20AM, according to a tweet from Jeremy Koh -the Beijing correspondent for Channel News Asia – the time frame has since been moved by just over an hour to 5.15AM, NK News has learned.
The journalists have been told they are not allowed to bring cell phones, lighters or laptops, though may have been taken to the Pyongyang International House of Culture, a venue which sometimes hosts cultural exchanges with visitors to North Korea.
The group of around 200 foreign reporters is currently in the North Korean capital as it prepares for the 105th birth anniversary of founding president Kim Il Sung on April 15.
But it is not clear if the event is linked to the current tensions around the Korean Peninsula. North Korea has made similar announcements to groups of foreign journalists before, only for the events to require little fanfare.
Last year, foreign media were invited to the DPRK to report on the country’s seventh Congress of the Workers’ Party, though were given scant opportunity to cover the event. Instead, they were shown tourists sites or state-propaganda in their hotel press room.
But it’s possible the foreign journalists are going to see the opening of the Ryomyong Street construction project, or are being taken on a relatively long trip out of Pyongyang.
Tensions are currently running high on the Korean Peninsula, with U.S. President Trump issuing a string of tough statements in recent weeks about solving longstanding issues over the DPRK’s nuclear programs.
Washington also diverted an aircraft carrier strike group to Korean waters, while other high-level members of the U.S. administration have also been discussing the emerging threat from the DPRK.
Featured Image: Pyongyang Haze by m•o•m•o on 2012-03-10 01:55:54