The South Korean government submitted a letter to the UN Security Council on Tuesday (EST) via its UN-based ambassador in New York criticizing the explosion of a landmine at the DMZ on August 4, which they blame on North Korea.
The intent of the letter, South Korea said, is to prevent further provocations by the North.
“The letter will be circularized by nations in the council, as we required, and will be revealed on the (UN) website,” a government official said to reporters on Thursday.
However, the circulation of the document does not necessarily mean it will be adopted on the council’s agenda.
The letter “will prove the continuous provocations from North Korea, and reveal to the international community the pattern of provocations from North Korea,” a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson told NK News.
The mine incident, the spokesperson said, “is a violation of the Korean War Armistice Agreement, and threatens peace on the Korean Peninsula.”
One expert, speaking on condition of anonymity, said “there will be a political argument behind closed doors as to whether or not (the Security Council) should consider the ROK letter.”
The committee deals with North Korea-related issues, established pursuant to resolution 1718, under the Security Council of the UN.
“Considering that there will be a Security Council discussion in any case of the DPRK with the 1718 Committee on August 26, it is possible that the ROK letter will be discussed on that occasion,” the expert said.
Previously a South Korean lawmaker from the ruling Saenuri Party, the head of National Defense Council, Jeong Doo-un argued that “any possible measures should be implemented, including laying the agenda at the UN Security Council,” in the interview with the Korea Broadcasting System radio program.
South Korea has sent other letters to the Security Council in the past, over North Korea’s testing of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) in May, and the Cheonan sinking in 2010.
Last May, the UN discussed the ballistic missile launch occurring in March during the South Korea-U.S. joint military training, and the SLBM launch in April. North Korea’s human rights situation was also on the agenda.
According to a report from Voice of America, however, the UN didn’t suggest any specific measures, only stating that they would “keep discussing these topics.”
Picture: UN Geneva by NoirKitsuné on 2005-02-01 00:00:00
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 388 words of this article.